Rake Up and Grow
Rake Up and Grow
Rake Up and Grow is a garden training service working in ‘real’ commercial sites with adults with different abilities. We work together to ensure a whole job gets done. We have been running for 10 years, growing from a few tiny community gardens to 14 acres over 2 days a week. Join us and meet new people, learn new skills!
Who is this service for?
People who like the outdoors and getting fit. We predominantly do work training experience in real grounds with adults with disabilities. Volunteers from all walks of life who wish to support adults in horticulture or learn more about horticulture themselves are also welcome.
How does this service work / what's involved in this service?
General work skills:
- Working together
- Being safe at work
- Doing a quality job
- Following instructions
- Working independently
- Working at a realistic rate
- Using a range of machinery, mowers, leaf blowers, hedge-cutters and brush-cutters
- Plant identification from trees to wild meadows, from common names to those who wish to know scientific names
- Soils, compost and fertilizers
- Wildlife meadows, fruit care, propagation
- Gardens and Garden Centres
- Wildlife sites
- Willow farms where we make willow structures and bat boxes
- Staff are all trained and long time horticulturalists
- Sally Heselton, who supervises this project, is a trained horticulturalist that has lectured in industry based horticulture and taught gardening courses at Wiltshire College, Lackham and Radstock College, as well as running her own business.
In what areas is this service available?
We currently offer this service in the Bath and North East Somerset area.
Access This Service
This service is available from a number of Sirona sites - please select your nearest Sirona Health Centre.