Supporting families to care for their children safely at home. Our aim is to avoid unnecessary hospital, GP or outpatient appointments.
Who is this service for?
The Lifetime service is for families where a child has a life threatening, life limiting condition (not including malignant conditions).
The Lifetime Continuing Care Team also provide a service for families where a child has complex health needs that require specialist, often technology dependent support at home, provided through a care package (see CCT page for details of this service).
How does this service work / what's involved in this service?
If you are unsure of who to approach with an issue about your child’s health, we can often be the first point of contact. We can also act as a professional liaison, or link person between children and families and other professionals who are involved in their care. If we do not know the answer to a problem we will try to refer you onto the most appropriate person/organisation.
We can help with:
- Clinical tasks that are able to be done safely at home to avoid a hospital visit e.g blood taking , sleep studies
- Liaison, co-ordination and planning with the multi-professional team to meet a child’s health needs.
- Training families and carers in clinical care of a child.
- Facilitating safe discharge planning from hospital to home
- Completing a detailed individual healthcare plan for the child
- Supporting the young person through the transition process from child to adult services, to enable transition at 18 years of age
- Supporting families with wishes for end of life care and enable children to live and die in their preferred place of care
- Bereavement support for up to 18 months after a child has died
- Arranging for the collection and delivery of clinical tests/samples such as blood tests
- Arranging for the funding and provision of medical equipment in the home i.e suction or monitoring equipment
How do I access this service?
To refer to this service, please see referral criteria under ‘How Do I Access This Service‘ under the Lifetime Service main page.