Combe Lea is a residential care home that provides care & health services in a safe environment for older adults. We offer a broad range of activities which aim to promote independence by developing/maintaining and enhancing people’s skills, interest and abilities.
Combe Lea has 2 floors. Gardners Row provides a service for older people with Dementia. Willow View provides a service to older people with a range of physical disabilities.
Sirona care and health is offering the opportunity for a compassionate and non- judgmental person to join the team at Combe Lea as a volunteer befriender. In return for your valued contribution, we commit to offering an enjoyable and supported learning experience, and the guidance and management needed for you to fulfil this role.
Volunteers are asked to:
1. Liaise with the staff at Combe Lea to tailor and deliver support and assistance on a one to basis;
2. Develop and promote a positive befriending relationship with individuals with whom the volunteer will be matched;
3. Support residents to engage in activities and the life of Combe Lea, by being alert to opportunities for facilitating meaningful activity;
4. Accompany residents on walks and trips to enable them to take part in the life of the wider community;
5. Assist residents in coming to terms with changes in the world;
6. Maintain confidentiality in all written and verbal communication;
7. Adhere to good practice regarding professional boundaries;
8. Be consistent and dependable when working with individuals;
9. Keep the Service Manager updated on any issues or concerns that may arise whilst working with an individual;
10. Attend regular supervision with the Service Manager, attend team meetings and contribute towards the work of Combe Lea through open information sharing;
11. Keep a record of any expenses accrued;
12. Support the collection of high quality monitoring data as required.
The work of volunteers is accountable to the Combe Lea Service Manager. Volunteers are directly supervised by the Service Manager.
What do Befrienders do?
As a Befriender, your role will involve offering one to one support to individuals on a long term basis, providing company and friendship for a few hours every week. You will work with staff to develop and support residents’ particular interests, and enable them to participate in the life of Combe Lea and the wider community.
Attitudes and Values
1. A patient, compassionate and friendly nature
2. A non-judgmental approach and the ability to work with all kinds of people, who may come from diverse backgrounds and may be very vulnerable
3. Sensitivity to the needs of individuals who may have mental health issues such as dementia
4. A mature and genuine manner and a positive sense of humour
5. Curiosity and a willingness to listen and learn from residents and other team members
Skills and Experience
1. Excellent active listening skills including sensitivity to non-verbal cues
2. Good inter-personal skills and team-working skills so as to be able to communicate with the Service Manager and other staff
3. Commitment to a person-centred and non-judgmental approach
4. Understanding of dementia and the different ways in which it can affect people
5. Knowledge of key issues such as safeguarding and health and safety
6. Understanding of and commitment to working with confidentiality and clear boundaries
Please complete the application form and equalities form and either:
• email them to firstname.lastname@example.org or
• post them to: Stephanie Axon,
Resourcing Specialist HR Central Services
Sirona care & health
St. Martins Hospital
Clara Cross Lane Bath