Who is this service for?
We are a team of Community Children’s Nurses and Psychologists which provide a service in Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire and Somerset (formally Mendip).
We offer a Community Children’s Nursing and Psychology Service within the community for children with life threatening, life limiting conditions that are non-malignant.
We work closely with the multi-professional team to support families to care for their children at home and in other community settings.
Children who are accepted into the Lifetime Service will have an assessment of their healthcare needs and a plan of care made with the child and family to meet these needs.
We are available from 9am – 5pm for general queries or 8am – 6pm for the Continuing Care Team service users.
What we do
Nursing: Core service
- Clinical tasks that can be done safely at home to avoid a hospital visit e.g. blood taking, specimen collection, sleep studies
- Liaison, co-ordination and planning with the multi-professional team to meet the child’s nursing needs
- Training families and carers in specific nursing tasks
- Facilitating discharge planning to smooth the path between hospital and home
- Palliative care and end of life planning when appropriate
- Bereavement support
- Transition planning into adult services
- Assessment and individualised care plan for each child
Nursing: Continuing Care Team (CCT)
In addition, the CCT develop, manage and deliver health care packages to children who have met the required Children’s Continuing Care criteria via the local Clinical Commissioning Group. The care is delivered by specially trained Lifetime Support Workers and Nurses all year round.
Nursing: Specialist Nurse Disability & Epilepsy
One nursing post to provide nursing support for children with disability and epilepsy working alongside the multi-agency team.
Nursing: Cystic Fibrosis
Two of the Lifetime nurses are the Cystic Fibrosis (CF) nurses specialists for children who come under the care of the CF team at the RUH, Bath. Every child has a named CF nurse and has access to a Lifetime psychologist who is the designated CF psychologist for the service.
The clinical psychology team work alongside the nursing team to support the emotional and psychological wellbeing of the family.
We work with the children/young people themselves, siblings and members of the family who are involved in caring for the child and where that person is experiencing difficulties relating to the child’s health condition. The kinds of work we might get involved in are
helping young people and their families:
- To come to terms with diagnosis and the future
- With relationships and talking about difficult issues with each other and people outside the family
- To manage difficult treatments
- To manage psychological difficulties such as anxiety, trauma, depression or other difficult thoughts, feelings and behaviours
- To help make decisions about now or the future in relation to a child’s health condition
- Through group support e.g. sibling group
- To work with other professional networks such as schools or hospitals to improve quality of life and care for a child/family
- To manage loss and bereavement
How do I access this service?
Anyone can make a referral to the Lifetime service using the contact details on this page.
The referral criteria may vary dependent on where you live. Please contact the Lifetime Service to discuss a referral in more detail if needed.
0300 124 5916
Lifetime to Pause
With the help of two Lifetime parents, we’re launching an informal weekly mindfulness group for Lifetime parent/carers. If you have never tried mindfulness before, that’s okay… come along anyway to meet the other parents/carers and bring a cuppa.
Our group will meet every Monday on Microsoft Teams at 12.30pm. Each group is 15 mins and is a chance to take a break, pause. However, there will be time afterwards for meeting and connecting with other Lifetime parent/carers and our team.
Our first meeting will take place on Monday 19 April.
No sign up is required. Click here to join from your computer, mobile device or tablet.
If you would like to find out more about the group or ask any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org