Who Are We?
We are a team of Community Children’s Nurses and Psychologists based in South Gloucestershire providing a service in your area.
We offer a Nursing and Psychology Service within the community for children with life threatening, life limiting conditions that are non-malignant.
We work closely with the multi-professional team to support families to care for their children at home and in other community settings.
Children who are accepted into the Lifetime Service will have an assessment of their healthcare needs and a plan of care made with the child and family to meet these needs.
This care plan is regularly reviewed and amended according to the child’s healthcare requirements at the time.
Referral criteria may vary dependent on where you live. Please contact the Lifetime Service to discuss a referral in more detail if needed.
We are available from 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday (except bank holidays).
What Can We Do?
Nursing: Core service
• Clinical tasks that can be done safely at home to avoid a hospital visit e.g. blood taking, specimen collection, sleep studies, intravenous antibiotics
• Liaison, co-ordination and planning with the multi-professional team to meet the child’s needs
• Feeding help and advice
• Care and monitoring of children needing oxygen therapy
• Training families and carers in specific nursing tasks
• Facilitating discharge planning to smooth the path between hospital and home
• Palliative care and end of life planning when appropriate
• Bereavement support
• Transition planning into adult services
• Assessment and individualised care plan for each child
Nursing: Continuing Care Team (CCT)
• In addition, the CCT develop, manage and deliver health care packages to children who have met the required continuing health care criteria. The care is delivered by specially trained Lifetime Support Workers all year round.
The clinical psychology team work alongside the nursing team to support the emotional and psychological wellbeing of the family. We work with the children/young people themselves, siblings and members of the family who are involved in caring for the child and where that person is experiencing difficulties relating to the child’s health condition.
The kinds of work we might get involved in are helping young people and their families:
• To come to terms with diagnosis and the future
• With relationships and talking about difficult issues with each other and people outside the family
• To manage difficult treatments • To manage psychological difficulties such as anxiety, trauma, depression or other difficult thoughts, feelings and behaviours
• To help make decisions about now or the future in relation to a child’s health condition
• Through group support e.g. sibling group
• To work with other professional networks such as schools or hospitals to improve quality of life and care for a child/family
• To manage loss and bereavement
The Lifetime Service works across Bristol, South Gloucestershire, North Somerset and part of Somerset (formerly Mendip).
How to refer:
A referral in to the Lifetime service can be made by anyone by telephone, letter or by completing a referral form on our website.
How to Contact Lifetime:
The Lifetime Service
Corum Office Park,
Crown Way, Warmley,
Bristol, BS30 8FJ
Telephone: 0300 124 5916
Web: www.sirona-cic.org.uk (search Lifetime)
Lifetime has a parent participation group, please ask your Community Children’s Nurse or Psychologist for more information.
Date of creation: September 2018