A local service provided across South Gloucestershire, supporting people to self-manage their diabetes.
Diabetes and your health
Looking after your health has become really important and learning more about type 2 diabetes can help you reduce the risk of potential complications. The diabetes education session is for a group of people, who like you, are all recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. This has been developed to provide information and advice to help you self-manage your diabetes.
What you can expect
- Understanding diabetes and how to keep yourself healthy
- Discussion on healthy eating, portion sizes, snacks, alcohol
- Give you confidence to make healthy lifestyle changes
- Prepare you for what care to expect and why, now you have diabetes
- Time to discuss questions or concerns with health professionals
- Meet others who have recently been diagnosed with diabetes (please feel free to bring a partner/spouse/friend with you)
This session is a really important way for you to learn the key aspects of managing diabetes. Attending a diabetes session will ensure you receive the best possible advice to help manage your diabetes and prevent long term complications.
On the day you attend
3 hr session with a comfort break – either 9.30-12.30 or 13.00-16.00, at various venues across South Gloucestershire
- What is diabetes?
- How does it affect you?
- Eating well for diabetes – identifying carbohydrate in foods
- Consumption of alcohol
- Food labels
- Complications of diabetes
- Checks to expect at your GP practice and understanding their meaning
- Looking after your feet
- Physical activity and diabetes
- Stress and diabetes
- Making positive changes
This session is run by a Diabetes Specialist Nurse and plenty of time is given for answering questions and directing you to useful resources within South Gloucestershire that can help you achieve changes that suit your needs.
These sessions are meant to provide you with support and guidance to help you build on your knowledge of type 2 diabetes.
You will develop a good understanding of Diabetes, healthy eating and what to expect now you have diabetes.
We offer sessions on other topics and these can be booked onto when you feel you are ready. If you would like to attend any of these sessions please call our administrator on 0300 124 5908 at the Diabetes Nursing Service.
Please feel free to offer any comments which may help us improve this service for you and others like you.